HomeCrimeUpdate: Charges approved in Monday’s police incident

Update: Charges approved in Monday’s police incident

The B.C. Prosecution Service approved the following charges against 22-year-old Dilmeet Singh Chahal and 21-year-old Zakaria Benjamin Athaya in relation to yesterday’s police-involved shooting:

Dilmeet Singh Chahal:

  • Dangerous operation of a conveyance
  • Flight while pursued by a police officer
  • Possession of a prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition
  • Unauthorized possession of a firearm in a motor vehicle
  • Obstruct police officer

Zakaria Benjamin Athaya:

  • Possession of a prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition
  • Unauthorized possession of a firearm in a motor vehicle
  • Obstruct police officer

Both suspects will remain in custody until their next court appearance. Police released the third suspect in the investigation without charges.

Our investigators have worked tirelessly over the last 24 hours to bring this investigation to the charge approval stage. It showcases the dedication and commitment our police officers have to their work and to public safety to have a complex investigation this far in such a short period of time, states Superintendent Shaun Wright, Officer in Charge of the Prince George RCMP.

The investigation is ongoing.


Shortly after 2:00 p.m. on Monday, August 22, 2022, Frontline Police officers from the Prince George RCMP conducted a traffic stop with a suspicious vehicle.

The driver did not stop for police but instead fled the area. When a second police vehicle attempted to stop the suspect vehicle around the area of 10 Avenue and Carney Street, the driver rammed the police car and fled from police a second time.

Police officers flooded the area in search of the suspect vehicle, which was located near Ross Crescent and 5 Avenue. After colliding with a police car at this location, three suspects fled the area on foot. Police followed the suspects and shots were fired by police during the encounter. After a short foot pursuit, all three suspects were located by police and arrested without further incident, states Cpl. Jennifer Cooper, Media Relations officer for the Prince George RCMP.

No injuries have been reported in this incident. The investigation is in its early stages and is ongoing. The public is asked to please stay away from the areas of 5 Avenue and Winnipeg Street and from 4 Avenue and Edmonton Street, which are currently cordoned off to allow investigators to process the scenes.

We’re asking readers, like you, to make a contribution in support of BC Rise's fact-based, independent reporting.

Unlike the mainstream media, BC Rise isn’t getting a government bailout and fully independent. Instead, we depend on friendly support of Canadians like you.

A media outlet cannot remain neutral and fair if they have special beneficiaries or government handouts.

This is why independent media in Canada is more important than ever. If you’re able, please make a donation to BC Rise today. Thank you so much.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular