There has been multiple sailings cancelled by B.C. Ferries on the Northern Adventure because the crew being sick with COVID-19.
Customers affected by the cancellations will be notified and paid, according to the company. While passenger ferries have been cancelled for this week, BC Ferries reports that supplies and cargo were transported to the Haida Gwaii area on Tuesday.
The following sailings have been cancelled:
- April 24 10:00 p.m. departing Prince Rupert
- April 25 10:00 a.m. departing Skidegate
- April 25 10:00 p.m. departing Prince Rupert
- April 26 10:00 a.m. departing Skidegate
- April 26 8:00 p.m. departing Prince Rupert
- April 27 7:30 a.m. departing Bella Bella
- April 27 5:15 p.m. departing Port Hardy
- April 28 12:30 a.m. departing Bella Bella
- April 28 2:30 p.m. departing Prince Rupert
- April 29 12:30 a.m. departing Skidegate
The sailings have an impact on some smaller communities, with BC Ferries announcing that it is trying to charter planes for customers between Prince Rupert and Skidegate, with priority given to those who have already booked medical travel.
The illness of 19 employees at BC Ferries is exacerbating the company’s staffing issues. The company has previously stated that it is dealing with an unusually high number of retirements.