Surrey RCMP is investigating after one man who is prohibited from owning firearms was arrested with a loaded gun in Whalley.
On May 5, 2022 at 6:49 p.m., Surrey RCMP received a report of a verbal altercation occurring between two men near Grosvenor Road and Hilton Road. It was reported that one of the men had produced a firearm during their exchange.
Police quickly arrived in the area and located the two suspects who fled in separate directions. A foot pursuit ensued and one of the suspects allegedly threw a loaded firearm into a bush as he was running from police. The suspect was taken into police custody and the firearm was located.
Jorden Leland-Weaver, 28-years-old, is facing several charges including:
- Storage of a firearm contrary to regulation
- Possessing weapon for dangerous purpose
- Possess firearm without license and/or registration
- Possession of a loaded prohibited or restricted firearm
- Possession of firearm contrary to order
- Willfully resisting or obstructing a peace officer
This is a great example of the importance of reporting suspicious activity to police, says Surrey RCMP Media Relations Officer, Cst. Gurvinder Ghag. Thanks to a keen eyed member of our community and quick response of police, there is one less firearm on the street.